Monday, February 10, 2014

The Beekeeper's Apprentice


Okay… I have to admit, I was more than a little skeptical about the premise of this book when I first started reading it. It went against everything I thought I knew about Sherlock, his nature and his personality. It was good I didn’t judge this book by its back cover blurb or I would have missed the beginning of a series I can fall in love with! Looking forward to the next in the series, and in seeing how the character interactions develop.

Interacting with Holmes, not through Watson, but through Russell, was an interesting change, and you didn’t always know what he was up to, as their paths diverged often. You also see the beginnings of extraordinary changes in one quite unlikely to have them. I guess it puts paid to the notion that ‘an old dog can’t learn new tricks.’  Change might be harder, the older you get, but it is far from impossible! And the changes you begin to see in Sherlock are wonderful ones. I’m only hoping the author doesn’t take it too far and far remove Sherlock from who he really is. Abrupt changes can happen too, but I’d rather not see Sherlock turned into a Phineas Gage!




No comments:

Post a Comment